Monday, March 10, 2014

A time to...


Life is fragile gift that we are given.  We are reminded of this daily.  People come in and out of our lives, leaving their marks on our lives. Through special times, sweet memories, words of wisdom, a warm embrace, a laugh shared or smile in passing all are etched on our hearts and minds and are no less important than the veins that flow to give us life.

Last night my sweet great uncle, Mel Utterback took his last breath on this earth.  His body had fought a hard battle for almost the past 2 years against the cancer.  He was diagnosed around the same time as my grandfather in 2012.  Mel was one of the kindest men I have ever known, and had the Utterback wit that I have come to love in my grandmother (his sister Joan).  His presence will be missed on this earth, but I know he is having a great time being reunited with so many loved ones and being in the presence of his Savior.

If I could do anything to wipe cancer off the face of the earth I would, I am sure many of you feel the same way.  In the past I have donated my hair in the memory of loved ones not only ones effected by cancer but onesthat lost their hair due to other illnesses.  The first time I did it was when I was in high school and I did because I felt for sorry for kids that lost their hair.  There was a girl that had danced at the same studio as me growing up.  The treatments for her leukemia took her hair and it never really did grow back to the way it was before the treatments. Maybe you have already seen this video that was posted last week, but it is absolutely precious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwQZggdZrOo

I may not have been given the ability to heal or medically treat those that have cancer but God gave me beautiful, healthy hair that grows, that I can donate to those that lose their hair to the battle and do it in the honor of the ones that I love.  Secondly I can raise awareness about donating to The American Cancer Society in hopes that treatments and cures will get better so even more people will be able to celebrate more birthdays.  

So with that I ask you… “will you join me in the challenge?”  I had actually started writing a blog about this over a month ago but just hadn’t felt like the right time to post it.  Today is the day.  There is about 20 months until the deadline I have set… November 12, 2015.  This is a two part challenge.  You can take part in one or both... or not at all, but hopefully you will.

Challenge 1

In December I donated my hair for the 3rd time. Before I had even made the appointment to cut it,  I had decided I would grow it out to donate one more time. My plan is to donate it on my 35th birthday, which will be 11/12/2015.  My challenge... I want to challenge and get (at least) 35 people to donate their hair with me.  You can do it the same day or anytime in the next 20 months or even after.  My hope really is that this will be the stone that causes a ripple effect.

There are several different programs that you can donate to.  Each program has different guidelines.  Here is a link with a list several of them and their guidelines.  http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20411427,00.html

Pick the one that will work for you and your donation needs.  If you decide to do the hair donation please let me know.  I want to keep track of the ones that are doing this with me, and if given permission would like to include your name and picture on my blog when you donate your hair, and if you want to include the reason why you are doing it.  Also pass the word on… If you have a friend, daughter, sister, co-worker or male friend that needs a hair cut that is interested in doing this please just pass on my blog http://Vanessa-atimetoblog.blogspot.com or email vdirks01@gmail.com. 

On a side note, even if you haven't had someone pass away from cancer but you have experienced loss, donating your hair in the honor of a loved one regardless of how they pass is a beautiful gesture.  I will even go as far to say it is also therapeutic. 

Challenge 2

I have set up a birthday page on the American Cancer Society to raise $3500 by 11/12/2015.  So if growing your hair out to donate is not for you, then this challenge is for you.  Whether you donate a $1 or a $100's, I just want to get people involved with this.  Again… be a ripple.  http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/Events/BirthdayPages?pxfid=1568663&fr_id=19690&pg=fund






I am so excited about this and already humbled by my friends that have committed to do this with me.  Life is a beautiful journey. 
This time my donation is for (these are just a few of them): 
Callie to celebrate 10 years cancer free!
Shelley who is cancer free after two surgeries!
Heather who has beaten cancer 3 times and is currently being monitored for another tumor.
Cherie who is currently battling cancer.
In the memory Mel & Carol

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful blog. You are so gifted in so many things, it is and has been a joy to see you grow and flourish and take on new challenges. You truly are a gift. I will pray about my part in causing a ripple....

    ReplyDelete