Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Third time is a charm...

Today has been 18 months in the making.  After I donated my hair in November 2011, I went back and forth about growing it out to donate again.  June 2012 as my Pop-pop lay in a hospital bed after getting sick from the chemo, my decision was made.
This is my third time.  Each time I have donated my hair,  I have tried to pick a day that is significant. The first time I did it on the day of my High School graduation.

First Time


The second time was my last day of being 30.
Second Time


Today has several significant reasons.  When I started growing my hair out because of my Pop-pop's cancer diagnosis, I had pictured in my mind that I would be donating it with him by my side and him in remission. December 28th, 2012, this image was taken away.  My first goal was to do it on what would have been his 81st birthday, August 18th... but my hair was not quite long enough.  So I started looking at other dates that might work not only one that meant something but also one that worked for my hair dresser.  The next two dates were the day he passed and then the day I last saw him, but both fall over the holidays.
Then as I looked at the calendar one day became perfect.  December 18th.  On this day in 1992 my grandpa passed away.  It is also exactly 4 months after Pop-pop's birthday.  It also the 3 month since we lost Hayden.  Hayden was married to Philip's cousin Callie.  He was an amazing young man of 26 years and lived a life that testified of his love for the Lord and for Callie.  Though he would probably say I need to cut my own hair, I am sure he would approve that when you donate your hair that the hair cut is free.  Actually yesterday, Hayden had his first birthday in heaven.

December 18th, 2013 I am donating my hair in the memory of:

My Grandfather - Bill Stinson
My Pop-pop - Dean Moseley
Cousin - Hayden Lavo
 

Third time

 
Special thanks to Terri McInnes, who has been my hair dresser for 20 years and
has been the one to cut my hair each time I have donated it.

Today is exactly 1 week from Christmas.  At church this past sunday they acknowledged and prayed for those that were struggling with the loss of a loved one and that loss is amplified by the holidays.  I know for my family this is true.  For those of you that also feel that ache in your heart, this is the prayer I pray over you.

Heavely Father, our Comforter and our Peace,  I ask that you touch the hearts that hurt, the hearts that ache at the loss of their loved ones.  Lord, I pray that they will feel your presence and that your presence fill that void.  God, we rejoice that our loved ones are no longer in pain and that they are able to dance in your presence.  For those left behind that struggle to understand and have the "why's"that plague their minds, I ask that you provide your peace that surpasses all understanding.... That you quiet the doubt and fear and replace it with joy and hope.  Thank you for sending your one and only Son to die on the cross for out sins, so that we may have eternal life.  In your precious and Holy name... Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Nessa. Thank you for your love and steadfast faithfulness to your family. You are a joy to this world, especially mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said it perfectly. Thank you sweetie, now hand me a tissue. Love you

    ReplyDelete